July and August were again quite active months, with 13 notable fundraising events. The list includes the 1.6 billion raise by Databricks and large rounds for Dataiku ($400M), Datarobot ($300M) and Grafana Labs ($220M).
It's interesting to see that the 2 major open source data visualization companies raised funds during the period: Preset (creators of Apache Superset, $39.5M) and Metabase ($30M).
It's also worth mentioning the launch of Voltron Data by Wes McKinney and Josh Patterson to further develop the Apache Arrow ecosystem and the $200M Couchbase IPO.
Data Platforms and Query Engines:
- Databricks Raises $1.6 Billion Series H Investment at $38 Billion Valuation (August 2021, Previous round: February 2021)
- Treeverse raises $23M to bring Git-like version control to data lakes (July 2021)
- Ahana $20M Series A – Furthering our Vision of Open Data Lake Analytics with Presto (August 2021)
- Introducing Tabular: Aim is to build a new kind of data platform around Apache Iceberg. (August 2021)
- Grafana Labs Raises $220M to Accelerate Global Adoption and Development of Open Source Visualization and Observability Platform (August 2021)
- Preset Raises $35.9M Series B to Democratize Business Intelligence (August 2021)
- Insight Partners leads $30M round into Metabase, developing enterprise business intelligence tools (August 2021)
ETL, Data Quality and Observability:
- Monte Carlo Raises Series C, Brings Funding to $101M to Help Companies Trust Their Data ($60 M, August 2021)
- Hightouch has raised a Series A ($12 M, July 2021)
- Redata:We raised our pre-seed round (August 2021)
AI and Machine Learning:
- Dataiku Series E: Unleashing Everyday AI ($400 million, August 2021)
- DataRobot Unveils Major Milestones, Including $300M Series G Funding Investment, Acquires Algorithmia (July 2021)
- Berlin-based Colossyan raises €1 million to assist more businesses with its AI video generation tool (July 2021)